Sunday, April 7, 2013

Soooooooo. Scotland?

Clay has known for a while that he was a genius and wanted to study abroad. Having gotten two degrees from a Baptist seminary, he thought that it would be wise to diversify his education. I was thinking, "Yeah, we'll go to Baylor, we'll go to Emory, we'll go to Boston University."

Nope. SCOTLAND. 

God has really put things into motion for all of this to happen. He's brought people into our paths who have encouraged us through the whole process. You know, those fun things that God does? Where you're like, "Hey, God, is this really what you want me to do? I feel like it's not right." and then He's all, "Hey, I'm going to put you on a connecting flight to Atlanta and randomly sit you next to a guy who graduated from St. Andrews." That kind of thing. 

Oh yeah, and the acceptance letter. He's soooooo smart that he got accepted into the MLitt program, and we'll be doing that for a year and then moving on into PhD. 

I'm not going to lie. I am scared. SOOOOO scared. Like, watching the movie Scream in the 7th grade scared. Well, maybe not that scared. Maybe more like, I'm moving to a place I've never been before and I don't have much money and we are literally going to fly over there not knowing where we're going to live.

Buuuuut, it's going to be an adventure. 



Lots of questions. 
Where to live. (How will we find an apartment from the states?) 
Jobs. (Will they let me work in a bakery???) 
Transportation. (Little Yaris is going to the Turners... but how are we getting everything over there??) 
Finances. (Right now, $1=0.66 pounds) 
Tuition? (uhhhh... you don't even want to know what kind of nonsense it is going to cost us... AND SCOTTISH PEOPLE GO FOR FREE. blerg.)

We've already answered some questions though. We're living with some friends through the summer to save money. My boss and co-managers are helping me work more hours to make more money. We're giving our precious Bellatrix to some friends who are moving up north. We're keeping all of our summer clothes in the states because we won't need them. 


We also know some pretty cool things. This year, the University of St. Andrews is the 3rd oldest English-speaking University in the world, and is celebrating their 600th year. That means that people were studying in this castle school 80 years before Christopher Columbus got in his little boat and came over to this side of the world and found the continent where we currently live. 







Christopher Columbus:
1) looks like he smells a farty smell. 
2) has crazy eyes. 






I feel like this is the most random post. But I've been saving all these thoughts for months. Time for everyone to experience the crazy and live this with me! 

Carm

2 comments:

  1. Love your honesty...and are absolutely THRILLED for you both!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it! You crack me up!!!

    ReplyDelete