Sunday, November 17, 2013

Income?

Let me tell you a little story about how I finally got a job.



We've really been struggling. We've compared it to standing at the edge of a cliff as we're slowly being pulled toward it. God provided the money we needed to survive here without jobs for a short time, but not indefinitely. We're nearing the end of our finances, and with no job prospects, it was beginning to wear on me especially.

I felt pressure to take any job I could find, minimum wage, full-time/part-time, I didn't care. We needed to stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, I'm in a position many others are in at this point in the economy: Over qualified (Master's Degree) but under-experienced. I was rejected for jobs cleaning dorm kitchens, being a restaurant dishwasher, doing part-time admin work. It got to the point where I was applying for at least 3 jobs a day, making multiple trips into town with my CV, hoping that someone would be willing to let me work. But nobody was.

On top of that, I was so overcome with guilt about sitting at home and not being able to provide for us, and our impending doom because of it, that I considered just leaving. I could easily get a job in the States making enough money to survive and provide for Clay here. He wouldn't have me as a distraction, he could focus on his studies, and I wouldn't be a burden.

My struggle was real. #thestruggle #lifeishard I should have bought this shirt, but I couldn't because I didn't have money.



A week ago Friday, I went into town yet again to talk to 3 businesses that I heard were hiring. One told me the deadline for their position was in a week, so I would have to wait. The other told me to come back in February because they already filled the position. The last was a long shot, but I gave them my CV anyway.



"Could you come in for an interview this weekend?" After the months of rejection and waiting around for more rejection, I was surprised by this. Before I even made it home, they called me to come back for an interview immediately.

I didn't have time to prepare or worry. I just went in and interviewed. The two managers that interviewed me reminded me of all the interviews that I had with Sam Barrow, my fellow manager at Chick-fil-A. Making jokes, laughing, asking silly questions to make me feel more comfortable. Only none of their questions stumped me. Apparently, I'm cut out for restaurant management. Who would have known? :)

After the interview, they asked me to come back the following day for a trial shift. It was different than Chick-fil-A, but a lot of the same: running around, customer service, smiling and "My pleasure!" and goofing off with team members. I was overwhelmed, but learning. By the end of 4 hours, I was exhausted. How did I used to work 12 hour shifts???

Checked out their dinner shift Monday and then spent the rest of the week waiting for my interview with the district manager today by hanging out with the contractors/painters/electricians that are fixing our flat. They bought me chocolate because they got brick dust all over our bedroom drilling all sorts of holes into the fireplace that used to be in the wall. They are all now my best friends.

Flash forward to last Friday. Met with Nikki from the home office in Glasgow. Told her all about my skills from Chick-fil-A (she really liked that name and has no clue about anything in the US). I got a little misty thinking about my crew at CFA in Metairie and how far I'd come and how much I had grown in my time there.



Before the Scotland/USA soccer/football game was over, I had a job offer. I start Tuesday. Not quite what I expected, but lots of room for advancing and growing with the company. I am just happy to have a job.

Now, why was I unemployed for almost 4 months? Why did we come to the edge of the cliff? God was preparing us for the continuing struggle: the struggle to live on less. We are making farrrrrrr less than what we made in NOLA. It's enough to pay bills, buy groceries, and give us a tiny amount left over. We've lived like this for 4 months now. We can continue to do it.

SO. All that being said: Praise God I have a job, and don't expect any Christmas presents this year (or special treatment if you come visit). That means you Melody Turner.

up to no good at 6 and 3.

Carm

1 comment:

  1. Carmen, thank you for this post. It really ministered to my heart today as I've been without a job for almost 2 years now. Thank you for your faithfulness in sharing what Christ is doing in your life. You have no idea how it helps to strengthen many of us at times. God bless you and Clay as you continue to follow God's path in your life right now. I continue to pray for you both. Love and blessings, Bonnie Annis

    ReplyDelete