Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Life

Well. I procrastinated on updating this thing because... well... not a whole lot has happened.

We have moved out of Philip's house, and I'm kinda sad about it. He was a lot of fun. We're staying with Philip's friend Alex now, and his two American roommates, Adrian and Kat, both of which are moving out this week. So far, it's been lots of fun. He let me do the dishes and clean the kitchen. Feels like home again :)

View from our new room. Not too shabby.

the other view - the backyard! on the other side of this fence are APPLE TREES!

No really, I love cleaning the kitchen.

We made some friends at church - David and Mairi - and they invited us over for brunch, showed us around the St. Mary's College Library ANNNNNND the King James Library, and then dinner out on the town. We ended the night in the Whey Pat, watching a folk band play live music and eating MORE haggis nachos.

Other than that, we've done a whole lot of NOTHING. We wandered around the city. Took pictures on the Old Course. I have been polishing my resume and applying for jobs. Full-time jobs are hard to find in this city. Hopefully, something good will come up.

sneak attack picture on the Old Course!

the reason i look so happy is because this field is full of bunnies

love this guy

apparently, this is a famous bridge? My dad told me to find it by sending me a picture of Jack Nicklaus standing on it

We found a semi-Mexican restaurant. Very strange collection of different types of food, but good fajitas. Clay bought some pipe tobacco from an ice cream parlor. Yeah. You read that correctly.

Also, we had dinner with the pastor of the Baptist church, Andrew, and his wife, Janet. After dinner, they took us around the city, to the Old Course, and to the Fairmont, where I was hoping to get a job. The position has since been filled. Oooooh well. I didn't really want to have to commute there. Plus, I showed up with Dr. Pepper socks peeking out of my dirty TOMS so. Yeah.  Not looking too good.

Speaking of socks. I literally came here with two pairs of socks. One of them is the pair of previously mentioned Dr. Pepper socks. The other is a pair of lime green ones with leprechauns on them. I seriously need a grownup wardrobe. But no white socks! White socks are for losers in the UK.

Things I wish I brought with me to the UK:

  • thicker socks
  • simple, neutral colored socks
  • heck, socks in general
  • sunscreen (when the sun finally comes out, it still burns you)
  • Tony Chachere's creole seasoning (hey UK, you're doing it wrong)
Right now, I'm in the process of applying for 4 University jobs, and if those don't work out, I'm hitting up the coffee shops. I'm trying to find something full-time, but it's pretty difficult. God has really come through with everything else in this whole process. I know he will take care of us still. 

Some fun things. The toilets here? They flush all crazy. Instead of water rushing from the back and swirling around, it explodes from the front and the back like a waterfall! Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it is a little crazy. 

Also, the showers? They do NOT have shower curtains. At least not any of the ones I've seen. They have a tiny half door to "keep water from getting out..." BUT WATER STILL GETS ALL OVER THE FLOOR! Not to mention you're completely exposed to the entire bathroom. This is very very strange. 


And the Aldi? You can get groceries for cheeeeeeeap. If you don't mind buying bobo brands of things (which doesn't matter to me, because I don't have a clue what the nice UK brands are - they all look like bobo brands to me) We bought a week's worth of sandwich things, salad things, and omelet things for about 20 pounds. I love a good bargain. 

If you ever want to come visit us, make sure you bring comfortable walking shoes. We walk everywhere. The places we've stayed have been about a mile down hill from the city center, so it means a 15-20 minute trek into town whenever we want to go. OH! And they also have this hill. We have gone up it and down it each time we want to get into town and it is literally at a 45 degree angle. At least 100 steps. I hate it. Dempster Terrace. You will too. 

it doesn't look that bad... FROM THE TOP!

Other than that, we are really just sitting around waiting for the next step. Job, classes, moving into the apartment from Jesus. Hopefully all of that will take place in the next two weeks. 

Lastly, has anyone heard of the Haar? If you're thinking it's a pirate word, you're wrong.  It is this crazy coastal fog that rolls in and scares you because you think Voldemort is going to come get you. We walked around in it last week and wow. I thought we were living in a horror movie. 


haaaaarrrrrr!

haarrrrrrr
Carm

1 comment:

  1. I hope you won't get annoyed when I leave comments!

    I snickered at your description of your attire. It's great.

    I wonder how much mailing things cost? I found some adultish but not white socks the other day, I don't remember where, but I can be on the hunt for some thicker ones.

    Do they have a Primark there? It reminded me of Forever 21 mixed in with home decor. I think I got the zebra snood there. Things were very affordable there.

    ReplyDelete