Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Scottish things.

Well, I think even less has happened since I posted last.

We are still staying with Alex. We have been in contact with the person renting our flat to us, and he has been keeping us updated on all of the setbacks with the renovations. Originally, we were supposed to be in the flat September 1. When we met with him and looked around the flat and decided we wanted to take it, he told us it would be more like the second week of September. Wellllll. Apparently, the water is not hooked up, and that is keeping the contractors from being able to release the property to the trust, allowing them to put in carpet and furniture and GIVE IT TO US. So, we were informed it would be more like October 1 before we can get it. I'm still praying for a contracting miracle and that we'll be able to move in earlier than that.

The other miracle we need is a JOB for me! Unemployment is driving me insane. I am used to working 45-50 hours a week and being in constant motion. All we've really done is wander around and watch That 70's Show and the Vicar of Dibley. I have applied for 7 jobs now, all across different fields: restaurants, administrative, library, dorm cleaning staff. I'm going to start on hotels next. So far, I've been rejected for 2 and haven't heard back from any of the others. Let's hope someone out there is desperate for a girl who has a Christian Ed degree she doesn't want to use and lots of management and customer service experience!

So, in an effort to keep y'all entertained, I have compiled some fun facts about the UK that I've noticed since I've been here.

Someone somewhere told me that the water here had a different taste. I guess because of the filtration being different from the states. Some people have said that it tastes like soap. Some have said that it's really super sweet. PEOPLE. It's WATER. It tastes like water.

I also want to talk about the wonderful invention called roundabouts. Four cars coming into an intersection. Everybody goes left. You yield to the people already in the roundabout. You get off on whatever street you want. No pesky red lights to wait on. No turn lanes and yielding to the other side in order to turn left or right. You just ride around in circles. It's genius. But the COOL thing is... the redlights? They are for pedestrians! You know that button you push in the states? That cross/don't cross button that doesn't really do anything? It triggers a red light here, so the cars stop and you can cross! Yaaaaaaay!

Yesterday, I saw a rabbit on a leash the size of a cocker spaniel. I was going to get a picture, but I was just too stunned to make it happen. If I happen to see the rabbit again, I will get a picture for sure.

Lastly, I want to tell you about something very serious... Breakfast cereal. They have the same brands of stuff here, but a lot of them have different names. I literally stood in the cereal aisle of Morrison's for 10 minutes looking at all the different cereals and being very confused.


Same concept, different taste (probably the lack of corn syrup!)

say whaaaaaaaat?

almost the same. the dog wears a sweater in the UK. seems appropriate. 

i don't understand why they keep Tony the Tiger, but they change the name?

same little talking shredded wheat mascots, but different name. 

slightly different little elves, but exactly the same. 

Hope this was good enough for now. Gotta go apply for more jobs!

Carm

No comments:

Post a Comment